2009-05-24

STORM'S DEATH PUTS IT ALL IN PERSPECTIVE FOR ME.  

0 comments

Last night, we lost our beloved Lab/Chow mixed pooch of 15 years. I was told that she lived a year and a half past her life's expectancy, but that doesn't make it any better. She was an erratic acting dog at times, and she always seemed to be on the hunt for food, but she was still a great dog. She basically house trained herself, and she also seemed to understand what we were saying after about 2 years. She was a VERY smart dog. She will be sorely missed, as evidenced by my wife's constant tearing up. My son basically grew up with Storm, so they were very close.

As I contemplated where to bury her in the backyard, something weird happened. Suddenly, everything that Michael Vick was charged with, seemed a WHOLE lot worse to me. Keep in mind, I'm one of those that feels that Vick has paid his debt to society, and that he deserves a 2nd chance in the NFL, so this isn't an anti Vick post. It's just a musing, so to speak, of how my dog's death put Vick's actions into perspective for me. I was one of those guys that felt that Vick's punishment didn't fit the crime, and I still do. However; after watching my beloved pooch laying there peacefully, and feeling the hurt that I felt, I wondered to myself, "How in the fuck could someone do this on purpose?!". After thinking about the ways he killed and tortured his dogs, and looking back at my Storm of 15 laying there, suddenly I thought, maybe the punishment did fit the crime, but then again, that's just emotion talking. Peaceful journey, old girl.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories