2010-06-07

"I WANNA BE THE NEXT VICTOR WOOTEN!"  

3 comments

I was in Guitar Center one day to mess around with a few bass guitars. I grabbed this Ibanez ATK, and started to play some of my favorite riffs. I played a few riffs by Victor Wooten (well, the ones I could actually play!) and the Woody Woodpecker riff by Les Claypool. It was then that this young bass player approached me, and told me that that was the kind of bass player he wanted to be when he finally joins a band: flashy. Ah, youth!

I showed him how to play a few riffs, and then I asked him to do me a favor. I asked him to go see some live bands that weekend, and get back in touch with me. He called me Tuesday to tell me that he saw 3 really good bands. The music was good and they all had great bass players. Then I asked him how many flashy Vic Wooten/Les Claypool licks did he hear. After about 4 seconds of silence, he said that he'd heard none. "That's the point.", I told him.

Yeah, Vic Wooten has mind blowing licks, but he can also sit in on a jazz jam session. Les Claypool has an array of tricks, but he also has the groove and pocket to sit in on an Allman Brothers tribute album. You know why they have that ability? Because it's about the groove and the song, not their tricks! Just concentrating on being strictly a flashy player, is like having all frosting and no cake. People will look at it, but nobody's gonna buy it. Yeah, other bass players will be floored by your flashy riffs and talk about you to other bass players, but they'll never recommend you for a gig. Trust me on this.

Learning this great instrument of ours take lots of time and hard work. Do you place so little value on your time and hard work, that you would spend it trying to be someone else, instead of a better you? Really? Taking up the bass is a noble and proud thing to do, but remember; we are the foundation on which the house is built. Here's something else to think about: when Flea sits down to practice, he's not trying to be the next so and so, he's trying to become a better him. As for that young bass player? He told me that he landed a blues/rock gig. I guess he realized that having a solid pocket was an even better trick, and the groove became more important to him.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



3 comments: to “ "I WANNA BE THE NEXT VICTOR WOOTEN!"


  • June 10, 2010 at 7:49 AM  

    Bravo! I couldn't agree more.


  • January 19, 2017 at 10:17 PM  

    HOW I GET MY MAN BACK URGENTLY WITH OSHOGUMSPELLTEMPLE@LIVE.COM

    My Man come back after two years of Separation. We both love each other. we love to have kids together but his parent want another girl for him. Just two one ear after our marriage, things were really hard with us because he depends on his dad to earn money. Then he decide to live me for the another girl whom his parent choose for him. i search every where for him and i could not find him. Left the country and i was left alone with pregnancy and pain. i read different book on broken marriage and get ex back just to encourage my self and seeks help. i visit different site then a friend direct me to Dr oshogum with his email address OSHOGUMSPELLTEMPLE@LIVE.COM, than i contact him and tell him my problem and i did what he ask me to do after two days of doing what Dr oshogum said, my husband called me and ask of my location and ask of our baby. To the glory of Dr. oshogum my Husband is back my life and his parent suddenly love me, Get us a new apartment. It's now a happy family. all for the help of Dr. oshogum. My life now is like there was never a horrible past or pain. You should quickly contact OSHOGUM now for your marriage or relationship problem contact oshogum now with oshogumspelltemple@live.com And he also help different persons to solve all kind problems such as
    1) Love Spells
    2) Lost Love Spells
    3) Divorce Spells
    4) Marriage Spells
    5) Binding Spell.
    6) Breakup Spells
    7) Banish a past Lover
    8.) You want to be promoted in your office/ Lottery spell
    9) want to satisfy your lover

    If you have any problem in life, simply contact him VIA email: oshogumspelltemple@live.com to get instant solutions to your problem
    contact oshogum now with oshogumspelltemple@live.com


  • April 11, 2017 at 9:57 AM  

    Am writing this article to thank Doctor Ehimen for the wondrous miracle that he did for me because he helped me recently to bring back my lovely husband that left me for his EX girlfriend for no reason for 4 years. Am Renea Holman From Belgium. After enough searching and surfing on the internet, I came across a post made by Valeria Diego from Mexico referring of how she was helped by Doctor Ehimen the spell caster. I also decided to contact the spell caster called Doctor Ehimen for help because i was desperate and i needed to get back my lovely Husband and happiness. I followed all his instructions and he promised and guaranteed me that my husband will get back to me within 12 to 16 hours after he has finished with the preparation of the spell. I hid to his words and am happy and i can proudly say today that i have my husband back with the help of Doctor Ehimen. Viewers reading my post that needs help can get in touch with him via Email: Doctorehimenspelltemple@hotmail.com, Doctorehimenspelltemple@gmail.com OR Website: http://www.doctorokpamenspells.com